Hearing loss is about pitch as much as volume. It’s conceivable you have some degree of high-frequency hearing loss if you can comprehend what the men in the room are saying but you can’t hear women and children. You’re not alone…this is the most prevalent type of hearing loss.
high-frequency Hearing Loss Symptoms
With high-frequency hearing loss, you may still be able to register the volume of a woman’s voice or a child’s voice, but consonant sounds that allow conversations to be easily understood, get muddled. Usually the most difficult to pick up are consonant sounds like ch, th, t, soft s, c, sh, k, f, and h. Even though a woman or a child is not mumbling, it may sound that way. Comprehending a child’s joke or your loved ones question about dinner plans becomes very difficult because you have lost the ability to differentiate these sounds. This can lead to frustration, sadness and social isolation from your circle of family and friends.
Other sounds within the high-frequency hearing loss range (2000 Hz) are lost to people who have this problem. This includes birds chirping, high musical notes, sirens or squeaks. Even at low volumes a man’s voice, thunder, and bass musical notes, might be fairly easy to discern.
Reasons For High-Frequency Hearing Loss
Often imperceptible at first, high-frequency hearing loss, the most common kind of hearing loss, can creep up on you as you grow older. high-frequency hearing loss can be triggered by other things in addition to aging such as particular medical problems like cardiovascular disease, excessive noise exposure, and some medications.
The little hair-like sensors inside the cochlea are damaged by all of these situations. Sound input is received by these little cells and sent to the brain for processing. The high-frequency sensory cells are more prone to damage than the low-frequency sensory cells, which is why the higher-pitched sounds are usually the first to be difficult to understand.
high-frequency Hearing Loss, How to Prevent it
You can take several steps to slow or stop the progression of high-frequency hearing loss even though you can’t stop your ears from growing older. Some of these include:
- Ask your doctor about medications you use. At least 200 different varieties of medications can cause or worsen high-frequency hearing loss. Your hearing can even be damaged by high doses of aspirin. Check with your doctor to see if there are possibilities less likely to injure your hearing. If you can’t avoid using a particular medication, keep in close communication with your hearing specialist for regular hearing loss and balance testing. Additional hearing loss can be prevented by treatment.
- Quieter things are more ideal. Find noise ratings on appliances and select the quietest products. And don’t be reluctant to ask the restaurant manager to turn down the music if it’s difficult to hear your dinner companions.
- When removing earwax, never utilize a swab or any other small object. Your capacity to hear becomes blunted when you push old earwax against your eardrum. A hot shower is usually enough o get rid of exes earwax but if this doesn’t work ask your hearing care professional for other ways to irrigate your ears.
- In loud surroundings, put in hearing protection.A certain indication that your ears could be getting damaged is if you need to shout to be heard in a loud setting. Some instances of times when putting in ear protection are live music concerts, engines revving, running power tools, and a loud music system. Noise canceling headphone might not fit inside your pocket, but they are the best solution in some scenarios.
- Caring for your overall health. Smoking can damage your hearing. Your hearing can also be injured by poor health caused by poor nutrition. Try to take good care of your health in all ways and this will safeguard your hearing as well.
Treatment For High-Frequency Hearing Loss
Hearing aids are currently the most efficient method for dealing with high-frequency hearing loss. And because this is the most widespread type of hearing loss, there are numerous different designs a person can choose from. Hearing aids can enhance high-pitched sounds so they are crisper to the user. You can immediately address your level and extent of hearing loss by having your hearing care expert fine-tune your hearing aid to improve your ability to hear sounds at the correct level. For circumstances such as talking on the phone, listening to children, having dinner at a restaurant, or business meetings several hearing aids can be manipulated by your phone and have directional microphones for fine-tuning.
If you suspect that you might have high-frequency hearing loss, schedule a hearing exam. If you want to better your ability to hear your grandchild’s precious one-liner, odds are there are individually tailored solutions for you.